Rev. Tomlinson discovered Christian Science in 1894, and became a practitioner, teacher, and lecturer for many years. He was one of the five original lecturers appointed by Mrs. Eddy to the Christian Science Board of Lectureship. He first became closely associated with Mrs. Eddy in 1898, and out of this association comes a firsthand record of the development of the movement during her last years. From 1899 until 1910, he served Mrs. Eddy in many capacities. From 1908 through 1910, he served her as an associate secretary in her household at Chestnut Hill.