Ira and Flavia Knapp were two students of Mrs. Eddy who were instrumental in the building of the original Mother Church in Boston. They were among the “First Members” selected by Mrs. Eddy when she re-organized the Church in 1892, and Mr. Knapp was one of the original Directors.
The Knapp family moved to Boston in 1888 in order to serve the Cause. Mr. Knapp’s unswerving faith in Mrs. Eddy as the God-directed woman in the Apocalypse, made him one of her most trusted students. Bliss Knapp tells of his father’s invaluable service to Mrs. Eddy in the building of the original edifice of The Mother Church. At times, he stood alone with her in her efforts to establish the Church on a spiritual foundation, when others were opposing her method in doing this.